Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Nursery Saga






The day after the ultrasound I started finalizing my ideas for our little boy's nursery. We had ordered a crib and changing table/dresser combo a couple of weeks before, and Chris had surprised me the weekend before by picking them up while I was in Nashville with Amanda and Melanie. I came home and opened the door to the nursery to hang up the new onesie I had bought and found the first pieces of the baby furniture put together. It was the best surprise! Of course, I cried.

We didn't want a theme-y room; I had visions of something sophisticated but fun that would grow with him. We left the room smoky blue but added 1/2-inch vertical green (vanilla grass, to be exact) stripes every 16 inches. The green stripes match the embroidered borders on the crib set we got from Pottery Barn Kids (I'm going to monogram everything when we finally decide on a name). I ordered the cutest fake bear skin rug and a toy trophy moose head to hang over the crib (you can imagine Chris' excitement! And it was even my idea!), and I wanted crown molding and a second layer of trim to finish out the walls. Chris and Grandpa Kladivko tackled that project last weekend and even installed ceiling fans in the nursery and the guest room on top of doing the molding in both rooms. (FYI: Do NOT ask Chris to help if you want to put up crown. He might get violent at the mere suggestion.) Chris also hung a couple of floating shelves over the changing table to showcase the snow leopard Granny Kladivko bought and the tiny soccer ball Gramma Beem brought Baby. Mom also brought up the walking ducks his great-grandfather made, and his great-great-grandmother Johnston's rocking chair will also end up in there eventually.

It looks so cute! As soon as the last piece of furniture comes in from Babies-R-Us and I change out the window treatments, we'll be all finished in there (besides a few finishing touches). I can't wait to see it all done and ready for him.

BTW: Apparently my shoe obsession extends to my son! I added a picture of his growing collection.

1 comment:

  1. Post a picture of the room! I can't wait to see it. Be sure to send great-great-grandmother London's rocking chair back to me when you are done rocking your baby!

    No name yet? What's the holdup?

    ReplyDelete