Friday, July 17, 2009

One Month Old
















Mason turned one month old yesterday, and he couldn't be doing better. You should see him hold his head up! And he can bear weight on his legs now, which apparently is pretty advanced for this age. If you're lucky, you get a smile. If you're REALLY lucky, you get his Elvis smile. He's getting a little more independent every day, although he still would prefer to sleep in Mom's arms rather than anywhere else (I write as he does just that!). We're not having much luck getting him to sleep on his own for very long, but I admit that it's hard to put him down and I often don't even try to see if he'll go down in his cradle. I'm storing up for all the holding time I'll miss when he goes back to Vandy for his surgery in a couple of months. Because we're always on the lookout for a blue spell, we try to keep him from getting too upset, so Mason pretty much gets whatever he wants (except for the few times when none of us can figure out what that is!). I read that holding time correlates to decreases in learning disabilities, so I'm clinging to that theory to justify "spoiling" him.

As of Monday, Mason weighed 9 pounds, so he has gained 2 and a quarter pounds since he reached his lowest weight at Vandy. His eyes are lightening up, so we can't wait to see what color they turn out to be eventually. There is still much debate about whom he looks like, but Chris and I just think he looks like Mason, a good mix of both sides.

He has been to the cardiologist twice now and is doing so well that we won't have to take him back for a month, at which time he'll meet his new cardiologist (Dr. Liske is moving to Knoxville) and maybe get more information about a timeline for surgery.

Being with Mason is so amazing that I can't imagine going back to work in a few weeks. I get really upset just thinking about it. I don't want to miss a single minute of his life. I think back on the fact that for so many years I didn't want to be a mom, and I just smile. I had no idea, and Chris would say the same thing. Our lives definitely revolve around our son, and we couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment