Monday, October 18, 2010

The Cake Boss...Kind Of



Although Chris and I spent a loooong time planning for Mason's first birthday party, the biggest task was definitely making his cake. The cake was the most important part for me because I want him to always have awesome cakes, and I wanted to make it myself. The problem was that my plans often exceed my level of expertise, and this was no exception. When I showed Chris what I planned to do, he put his head in his hands and moaned, imagining the meltdown I would have when the results didn't match the vision in my head.

Luckily, my first foray into fondant was successful, and Mason's cake turned out just like I had envisioned. It had three tiers, each with three alternating layers of vanilla and strawberry cake with vanilla buttercream icing, and the top tier was shaped like a party hat. I rolled out stripes, dots, letters, and trees to match the pattern on the party invitation, and the end result was a fun, contemporary cake--and I have to say that it was delicious and well worth all the effort it took to make everything from scratch.

Luckily, I had a little help along the way from my men, who were more than happy to clean the extra icing off the beaters. Even Jase helped roll out fondant. What a crew!

Mary started calling me Cake Boss and immediately everyone put in orders for their own cakes, so this could backfire on me. Uh-oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment